In today’s competitive job market, employers are seeking to hire graduates that are highly specialized and well trained. You can’t afford to waste your time with an education that wont help you get the job you want. At Centennial College, all our programs are geared for success.
As part of your program, you will not only learn how to use the latest cutting edge tools, but you will also learn how to apply the latest principles from business professionals. To compliment your classroom learning, you will also get hands-on experience in the labs.
Centennial’s staff not only believe in providing students with the best teaching experience possible, but also to offer the best guidance and career advice.
This nationally accredited program prepares you to work as a bench technician (in quality control/ quality assurance) in the food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries. We provide thorough practical training in industrial microbiology as well as chemistry – analytical, organic and biochemistry. Laboratory techniques, including appropriate safety procedures, are extensively highlighted. A special feature of the program is our focus on the project approach, with independently designed microbiology projects that enhance your problem-solving and research skills. Biotechnology Technician trained at Biotechnology College is empowered with knowledge.
You will learn to:
* Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples (water, soil, air, your body, and food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic products)
* Prepare specimens for staining and become an expert light-microscopist
* Become proficient in aseptic handling of materials
* Accurately calibrate and use a range of instruments such as pH and BOD meters, Gas Chromatographs, spectrophotometers (regular/IR/UV), HPLC’s etc.
* Prepare microbiological media and reagents; culture pathogenic microbes; and design and perform your own microbiology experiments
* Use microorganisms to assay pharmaceutical products
You may graduate in two years as a biotechnology technician or continue for a third year to study specialized topics such as advanced biotechnology and microbial genetics or systematic microbiology, graduating as a biotechnology technologist.
Centennial College expects students applying for admission to certificate or diploma programs to present at minimum an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent or be 19 years of age or older. Possession of minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the program.
* Compulsory English 12C or U or skills assessment, or equivalent
* Math 11M or U or 12C or U or skills assessment, or equivalent
* Students will be placed in the appropriate English level based on skills assessment results
* Students who test at an advanced level may be accelerated directly into MATH-176 in semester 1 and MATH-186 in semester 2. Those taking MATH-140 will have the opportunity to complete MATH-186 between semesters 2 and 3
The qualification requirements and costs for each external accreditation, designation, certification or recognition are set by the granting body and not by Centennial College. In order to qualify for any of those external accreditations, designations, certification or recognition, students and graduates will need to follow the processes and meet the applicable requirements listed on the websites and materials of those external bodies.
Beautiful full-color photography, effective illustrations, carefully written exercises, and a reasonable price combine to make Mic…
Designed for pre-nursing and allied health students (and also mixed-majors courses), Microbiology with Diseases by Body System, Th…
Microbiology is the study of life itself, down to the smallest particle Microbiology is a fascinating field that explores life do…
Microbiology: A Systems Approach is a microbiology text for non-science/allied health majors with a body systems approach to the d…
This book transforms a difficult subject into ideas that every attentive student can understand. Important topics covered include:…