A post-secondary program in biotechnology opens doors to various careers in clinical research, DNA analysis, quality control and assurance, industrial microbiology and biochemistry, biology instrumentation and calibration. The graduates of this program demonstrate the ability to
– Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms
– Collect and store samples
– Prepare specimen for staining
– Prepare microbiological media and reagents and culture pathogenic microbes
– Design and perform microbiology experiments
– Sample, measure, collect and analyze data
– Calibrate and use laboratory instruments
– Apply appropriate safety procedures
– Handle hazardous chemicals
The professionals can find employment in food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries as biotechnology technicians, lab technicians, biology lab assistants, life science lab technicians and instrumentation and calibration assistants. They can also work with companies into clinical research, quality testing and biotechnology product development.
Choosing a Biotechnology College in Canada
How you start your career depends on where you have studied, to a great extent. The biotechnology programs that have met the national technology accreditation requirements established by the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (CCTT) and the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTAB) offer better placement opportunities.
It is important to ask the following questions before enrolling into a biotechnology college or course in Canada:
– Is the program accredited by the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTAB)?
– Is the program affiliated to the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (CCTT)?
– Does it combine laboratory work with classroom learning?
– Does the college allow you to apply for certification through the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists for using the designation: Certified Technician?
– Does the program incorporate training in Occupational Health and Safety, HACCP, GMP or WHMIS to industry standards?
– Does the prospective college allow you to apply academic credits earned during the program to study for an advanced program?
– Does the program incorporate independent microbiology projects?
A program is worth considering if answer to all these questions is a “yes”. Centennial College’s two-year post-secondary program in biotechnology meets all the above mentioned criteria. In addition, a special feature of the program is the project approach. It allows students to design independent projects to help them enhance their problem-solving and research approach. With this, the program is also a repeat recipient of the College President’s Academic Program Recognition Award for outstanding student satisfaction.
The post-secondary diploma program in biotechnology typically runs for two years and covers a wide range of subjects. Students develop strong fundamentals in chemistry, inorganic chemistry, mathematics for applied science, and statistics for applied science, biotechnology, microbiology and technical report writing.
With this, they also study occupational health and safety, microbiology techniques, food microbiology, analytical chemistry, pharmaceutical microbiology and recombinant DNA technology. The program also lays a strong emphasis on computer education and covers microcomputer applications for technology A.
Enrolling in a Biotechnology Program
Students interested in applying for this program need to submit:
– Secondary school diploma or equivalent
– English Grade 12 C or University or equivalent scores
– Mathematics Grade 11 M or 12 C or University or equivalent scores
Students currently in high school can also apply for this program. Their grades will be automatically transferred to the college.
In the fall of 1980, Genentech, Inc., a little-known California genetic engineering company, became the overnight darling of Wall …
This self-teaching guide explains the basic concepts and fundamentals in all the major subtopics of biotechnology. The content ad…
As an authoritative guide to biotechnology enterprise and entrepreneurship, Biotechnology Entrepreneurship and Management suppor…
Thoroughly updated for currency and with exciting new practical examples throughout, this popular text provides the tools, practic…
A Unique Text for a Rapidly Expanding Field The only textbook of its kind on the market, Molecular Biotechnology provides a holis…
* Animal biotechnology encompasses a broad range of techniques for the genetic improvement of domesticated animal species including selective breeding, artificial insemination, cloning, and genetic engineering. Learn about both biomedical and agricultural applications of animal biotechnology and some of the science-based and ethical concerns that are engendered by certain applications. [8/2008] [Science] [Agriculture] [Show ID: 14991]