The biotechnology industry has always been dominated by either postgraduates or doctorates such as scientists and pharmacists. But the rapid growth in this sector has resulted in the emergence of numerous job positions at different degree levels. There is a growing demand for skilled biotechnology technicians who can
– Assist scientists in daily functions
– Oversee various biotechnology processes
– Provide technical support to scientists and drug developers
– Ensure right documentation
– Conduct experiments
– Set up the laboratory
– Prepare solutions for scientific tests
– Clean and sterilize laboratory equipments
– Conduct research by reading field guides, reference book and research papers
– Tap recent developments in the industry
– Keep a track of policies and procedures to review testing and sampling practices
The biotechnology professionals are employed in various industries including pharmaceutical, chemical, microbiology, environmental science, forensic science, food and cosmetics, life sciences, agriculture, health and sanitation. They are responsible for project handling while strictly adhering to the safety procedures and quality standards.
They can work as bench technicians in quality control, quality assurance, lab coordination and management, documentation as well as field technicians to troubleshoot laboratory equipments, conduct research and collect samples for experiments.
Job Description of Biotechnology Technicians in Toronto
The exact job roles and responsibilities may vary widely depending upon the employment and individual’s experience. However, there are some typical work-activities that they need to perform irrespective of their job title. These include:
– Isolating, enumerating and identifying microorganisms from different samples
– Preparing specimens for staining
– Calibrating and using instruments such as spectrophotometers, gas chromatographs, pH and BOD meters and HPLC
– Preparing microbiological media and reagents and culture pathogenic microbes
– Designing and performing microbiology experiments
– Using microorganisms to assay pharmaceutical products
– Analyzing, recording and compiling tests results
– Managing the control of hazardous materials
Becoming a Biotechnology Technician
If you have a keen interest in investigating microorganisms and performing real-life experiments, then a course in biotechnology is the right choice for you. It helps you develop strong fundamentals and gain practical training in industrial microbiology, analytical chemistry and organic and biochemistry. Theory is combined with ongoing laboratory work. The aim is to help you put your classroom learning into practice and gain professional skills.
Centennial College’s two-year post-secondary program in biotechnology covers a wide range of subjects including biological systems, chemistry, mathematics and statistics for applied science, microbiology, inorganic, organic, analytical and biochemistry, food and pharmaceutical microbiology and recombinant DNA technology.
The students are also trained in occupational health and safety, WHMIS, GMP and HACCP. In addition to this, the program also covers microcomputer applications for technology, microbiology techniques, lab instrumentation and report writing. The aim is to ensure all-round development of students.
Enrolling in a Biotechnology Program
Centennial College’s biotechnology program is CTAB accredited, which ensures quality while providing mobility to students. To apply for this program, you will need:
– Secondary school diploma or equivalent
– English Grade 12 C or University or equivalent
– Mathematics Grade 11 M or 12 C or University or equivalent
The biotechnology college also gives students an opportunity to continue for a third year to study specialised topics such as microbial genetics, advanced biotechnology or systematic microbiology, graduating as a biotechnology – advanced.
A Unique Text for a Rapidly Expanding Field The only textbook of its kind on the market, Molecular Biotechnology provides a holis…
Biotechnology for Beginners, Second Edition, presents the latest information and developments from the field of biotechnology-the …
Neo/SCI lab investigation demonstrating biotechnology bioluminescent proteins. As darkness descends upon the ocean, the water beco…
Marketing your Biotechnology Firm business is a difficult task, and as such it is imperative that you have a well developed market…
Now presented in large format, the new Schmid is the ideal primer in biotechnology. The two-page layout with one page being a full…