Online Information Systems Degree Programs
Information systems is one of the primary ingredients of any business or organization looking to utilize technology to reach their strategic goals. Career training in information systems can provide you with the skills needed to make an impact a broad spectrum of industries.
Career Options in Information Systems
It is often said that information is power. If that is true, then computer information systems (CIS, or simply, IS) professionals are extremely important in today’s information economy. Designing and managing systems that collect, store, process, analyze, and distribute information typically occupies a central role in large and growing companies in all industries today.
For example, geospatial information systems professionals visualize, analyze, and model systems to assist in strategic planning and decision-making processes. They make geographic information accessible and meaningful to scientists, planners, decision makers, and other interested stakeholders. Information systems disciplines span across all industries that rely on local and regional information to develop their initiatives.
Prospective Degrees and Coursework
Computer information systems degrees are available at both the bachelor’s and master’s level. Many candidates couple their career training with some sort of business degree, such as an MBA or equivalent. This hybrid education can create a combination of technology and business credentials that employers traditionally desire.
Coursework is typically comprised of networking, communications, some computer programming (including SQL and other database query and programming languages), and systems development and analysis. Some programs offer proprietary training in a particular IS platform, such as Cisco, Microsoft, or Oracle.
Online Career Training Options
Students may find that earning information systems degrees and career training through a distance learning format better prepares them for the rigorous demands of the marketplace. Online programs have an inherent technology component that is typically not used in a traditional campus-based program. In the end, distance learning can save time and money by allowing you to satisfy your degree requirements faster than the campus route.
Computer security threats affect nearly every company and organization. As a result, information systems security professionals are in high demand. This information systems security specialization will help you develop the skills you need to design an organization’s security systems procedures, standards, protocols, and policies, as well as ensure that operational security is in compliance with standards, policies, and laws. With this high-demand skill set, you’ll be prepared for growing opportunities in careers such as information systems auditor, information systems security analyst, information systems security officer, information technology strategic planner, and disaster recovery analyst.
Information Systems Security Courses
When you specialize your Computer Information Systems degree in Information Systems Security, your coursework may include these career-enhancing courses:
· Business Continuity – This course focuses on preparing for, reacting to, and recovering from events that threaten the security of information and information resources, or that threaten to disrupt critical business functions. Students examine various levels of threats to an organization’s information assets and critical business functions, as well as develop policies, procedures, and plans to address them.
· Data Privacy and Security – In this course, students explore the legal, ethical, and security issues involving data and information assets that organizations must address to ensure operational continuity as well as compliance with standards, policies, and laws. The course also covers security technology specific to safeguarding data and information assets.
· Web Security – Examining issues involved in protecting web-based applications from external threats while safeguarding customer privacy and accessibility, students in this course develop strategies that support systems and business goals.
· Information Systems Security Planning and Audit – This course provides an in-depth look at the kind of risk factor analysis that must be performed in order to design a flexible and comprehensive security plan. Topics include assessing threats, developing countermeasures, protecting information, using auditing practices to verify compliance with policies and procedures, and building a case for presentation in private and public settings.
· The ITT Technical Institute in Indianapolis, Indiana offers an online program leading to a Bachelor of Science degree in Information Systems Security. This program is offered online to allow students the flexibility to participate when it is convenient to them.
· Employees with knowledge of information systems security are now considered to be an important part of many information technology infrastructure teams. Rather than teach only the business or strategic planning side of information systems security, ITT Tech’s program covers both management and technical aspects of this field. These are the kinds of skills that can be valuable in today’s digital marketplace.
· An online education can offer opportunities for students to pursue their educational objectives when attending school in a traditional classroom is just not practical. With ITT Tech’s online education, a quality technical education is now available when and where it is convenient for the student.
Because some information can be extremely valuable and potentially worth large sums of money, there will always be people looking to steal it. Businesses need technology professionals to help protect their valuable assets as well as run secure networks in today’s global business. If doing this interests you, earning a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a concentration in Information Systems Securityis a great way to build the needed foundational skillset to enter this field.
In addition to developing sought-after critical-thinking skills and invaluable leadership abilities that every IT security administrator needs, you’ll learn the principles of risk management and enterprise security. While earning your IT degree, you’ll get exposure to real-life scenarios through hands-on labs and simulations. You’ll also learn from leaders in the field of information technology who have a plethora of real-world experience.
What you’ll learn
The Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT) program is focused on the acquisition of theory and application of technical competencies associated with the information technology profession. The courses prepare students with fundamental knowledge in core technologies, such as systems analysis and design, programming, database design, network architecture and administration, Web technologies and application development, implementation and maintenance.
The Bachelor of Science in Information Technology/Information System Security (BSIT/ISS) program provides the knowledge to successfully apply information technology theory and principles to address real world business opportunities and challenges. Under the guidance of practitioner faculty, the student uses innovative digital materials to develop competencies to apply:
Systems Analysis and Design, Computer Programming, Database Development, Network Technologies, Information Systems Security, Web Technologies and Project Planning. This program’s specialization, Information Systems Security, concentrates on the concepts and principles of securing and protecting the information assets of the organization. The curriculum is designed to produce graduates ready to function in information technology positions with the competencies, skills, and attitudes necessary for success in the workplace. It forms the basis for continued career growth, life-long learning as an IT professional, or a future graduate program.
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Security (BS-ISS) prepares you for applying the technologies and procedures professionals use to secure business systems. Through the convenience of our 100% online environment, you will learn how to identify security risks and create effective strategies to stop them. You will also discover how Information Systems Security is essential to organizational success.
The curriculum focuses on operating systems, computer architectures, networking protocols and security basics. You will possess the knowledge to analyze the role of security within an organization, as well as educate employees within the business about their security responsibilities. Upon completion of the degree, you will be prepared to sit for industry-standard certifications in Network+, Security+ and CISSP where otherwise qualified*.
*Although this degree is designed to prepare you to sit for various certification exams, In some cases, field experience and/or background checks may be necessary to be eligible to take or successfully pass the exams.
Information Systems Security Program Outcomes
At the successful completion of the program, you should be able to:
o Recognize and define concepts of computer systems, hardware, software, programming languages and networks
o Examine a problem, identify and define the computing tools and techniques relevant to its solution
o Effectively convey technical knowledge both verbally and in written form to a variety of audiences
o Analyze the professional, legal, and ethical impact of Information Systems Security on individuals, business organizations and society
o Identify and analyze information security risks within today’s business environments
o Apply industry-standard techniques to secure large-scale networks
You May Qualify For Financial Aid.
Ronald W. Richardson helps us to understand how congregations function emotionally. Without being simplistic, he gives clear direc…
“This book deals with a very important and contemporary topic–breaking out of casual patterns of a reductive sort into more holis…
A course in power poker from one of the greatest players ever….
Among the most helpful and widely acclaimed resources for addressing church conflict and the quality of church life is Richardson’…
Note: This is the bound book only and does not include access to the Enhanced Pearson eText. To order the Enhanced Pearson eText …
Systems theorists see common principles in the structure and operation of systems of all kinds and sizes. They promote an interdis…
* Igor Nikolic graduated in 2009 on his dissertation: co-evolutionary process for modelling large scale socio-technical systems evolution. He received his MSc as a chemical– and bioprocess engineer at the Delft University of Technology. He spent several years as an environmental researcher and consultant at University of Leiden where he worked on life cycle analysis and industrial ecology. In his research he specializes in applying complex adaptive systems theory and agent based modeling.
On TEDxRotterdam Igor Nikolic left the audience in awe with his stunning presentation and visualizations, mapping complex systems.
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TEDxRotterdam – Igor Nikolic – Complex adaptive systems