Bipolar Affective Disorder Triggers and Medications
Manic depression or now called bipolar affective disorder, have millions of people suffering from this mood disorder. Mood swings are but natural, but this mood disorder is way beyond the normal experiences of people. The disorder is characterized by extreme low depression and highs of an elated mood or mania. The frequency usually varies from one individual to another.
The cause of bipolar affective disorder is not yet established although experts claim that it has something to do with genetics and hormonal levels. There are also cases when other acquired illnesses of an individual cause bipolar disorder.
Everyday, a person experiences different emotions and events, and oftentimes these things trigger the mood swings. Coping up with happy events and unpleasant ones can put you in greater threat for depressive and manic episodes.
The triggers cause your mood swings. These are also called stressors, and it includes the following:
– not sleeping regularly
– drugs or alcohol misuse
– medication stoppage
– starting depression medicines or herbal products
– having medical conditions like thyroid problems
– seasonal changes
– disagreements between family/friends
– work problems
– death of family member, friend, or loved one
– marital problems
– starting college or a new line of work
If you’re diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder, you should be able to identify the triggers. You can do this by having your very own mood chart. You have to record all your emotions and the corresponding events that took place. After a while, you may now notice certain patterns.
Making your own mood chart is a tough job. It would be best to have a helpful talk with your family and trusted friends. You must also try to consult your therapist or healthcare provider. They may be able to help you more since they are not part of your life. You can better see things through their professional help.
After figuring out all the possible mood swing triggers, you have to learn to evade them. This involves action and would require you to avoid some of your bad habits. Your friends and family members should also be made aware of the triggers so that they can assist you in your struggle.
Bipolar affective disorder is not easily detected. In fact, many people may go for many years without being diagnosed. Unlike other illnesses and disorders, bipolar does not entail any laboratory test. The medical provider will simply use the MDQ. This is a questionnaire utilized for bipolar disorder; and the person conducting such questionnaire fills up the checklist based on the symptoms exhibited by the person. However, the checklist can only be used and given the right diagnosis by a medical provider.
There are several medications that can be used for treating bipolar affective disorder, including the following:
1. Mood Stabilizers this medicine can relieve or delay depression and mania episodes.
2. Antidepressants people having a depressive episode can use a mood stabilizer together with an antidepressant. If this medicine is used alone, the chance of switching into a mania episode is increased.
3. Antipsychotic persons having mania episodes can use this medication; severe mania or depressive episodes can lead to psychosis, and this can be treated with antipsychotic. You can use the medication alone or your provider can also use it together with other medications especially if the patient feels nervous or is unable to sleep.
4. Electroconvulsive therapy or ECT this is not actually a medication but rather a treatment to help people suffering from severe depression or mania episodes. Those individuals who dont respond to medications can also undergo this therapy.
The ECT is a therapy and it aims to control acute depressive and manic symptoms. It can effectively reduce mood instability and cycling and at the same time minimizing bipolar symptoms and treatment side effects. Through a management plan, the bipolar patient can return to his normal life.
Although the medications are not guaranteed to remove such condition, your mood swings can be stabilized. You can effectively control symptoms and easily cope with certain problems.
Not only is the individual affected but also their families. But with proper medications and treatment, bipolar affective disorder can be stabilized and controlled. Consult your medical provider now.
The Genetics Student Edition book is one of ten volumes making up the Human Biology curriculum, an interdisciplinary and inquiry-b…
With Genetics: A Conceptual Approach, Ben Pierce brings a master teacher’s experiences to the introductory genetics textbook, cl…
Genetics: From Genes to Genomes is a cutting-edge, introductory genetics text authored by an unparalleled author team, including N…
From the Pulitzer Prize-winning, bestselling author of The Emperor of All Maladies—a magnificent history of the gene and a respo…
Epigenetics can potentially revolutionize our understanding of the structure and behavior of biological life on Earth. It explains…